JUNE 06, 2019: Me, Myself, and I

Late night drawing 06.05.2019
Me, Myself, and I 

The adult life and the lack of self-care.



By yours truly, Karla.




Let's be honest, the post college graduation life transitions to an identity crisis.

A short, sweet, and condensed mid-life crisis.




The conclusion to this statement came at the end of the highly-anticipated graduation ceremony.

I had gone to the school's bar, The Nugget before the ceremony with a few of my journalism friends.

As I sat across Yesenia, Eddie, and Alec on the bar top table, we all had shared our sentiments of our schooling years.

Some of us felt scared about the job opportunities in "The Real World" and the other half of us felt indifferent to the ending of the school days.

The rush of alcohol in my body throughout our conversation led to slow reactions and minimal conversation on my behalf. I couldn't help but notice everyone else in the spacious room, most of the  individuals wore cap and gowns. All of them were enjoying the settle live music and brews.

Girl Smoothie gang at local SF Gelato shop,  05.26.2019

Four years ago, I found myself as a Spanish teacher after rigorous school work.

Although, as the first two years of schooling taught me a lot about interpersonal reflection. The Journalism degree I was going to receive in the day of the bar date with my three friends had been the end of the undergrad journey.

To this day, I question the degree I earned.

Most of the time, the questions reflect the uncertainty of the worthiness of my writing voice.

"Am I good enough?"
or 
"Does my writing JUST meet the bare minimum?"

Jess sharing their new recycled water bottle, Looza. 05.24.2019


I like to think my writing reflects the inspiration I get from the lonesomeness feeling and the misfortune life events.

Writing is therapeutic and looking at written language on a piece of paper reassures me sometimes that certain emotions or thoughts are okay to feel or experience. 

My favorite part is skating to the Uptown Whittier park after a 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. shift for a quick journaling session. It makes me feel as if I'm doing a daily tribute to my close family in San Francisco, the Girl Smoothie gang. 


After all, writers only thrive when others find a correlation between their lives and the writers, implicitly or explicitly. Humans like to relate to humans especially in grief. 


A solo revisit of Mural by SF City Hall, 05.27.2019


The day of graduation flew by and the adulting life began.

I couldn't stop but notice the different life adjustments happening: new full-time writing job, new outlook on life (outside the hungry romantic relationship drive), and new rekindling of friendships.

It's been hard dealing and processing new changes but at the same time i'm grateful to experience change in my life.

Plus, it's a learning experience to cope with change and redirect that to timeless art.

I know for a fact that the list I have for summer adventures and the spontaneous ideas in my head will help me transition into the freelancing of life. 

Also, it's about time I bring back the #spontaneousmovement that I created with my best friends in high school.  

The main goal of mine for the summer is to remind myself of the love I have for me, myself, and I. 


"Me, myself and I, that's all I got in the end... That's what I found out 
And it ain't no need to cry, I took a vow that from now on i'm gon' be my own best friend." 
- Beyoncé, Me, Myself, and I 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nov. 17 2017 | Radical Women: Latin American Art, 1960-1985 // Hammer Museum |

JULY 08, 2019: Often

MAR. 24, 2020: Absorbing